Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Where Am I?????

Last week I went to the grocery store. By myself. Go Me.

Actually I was pretty proud of myself. I didn't hit anyone. I think I obeyed most traffic laws. I survived all of the roundabouts and weird road triangle thingys. Plus I went to the big Migros...in another town. It was pretty fun to spend some time by myself, also there was not just a grocery store but it was more like a mall with clothing stores, jewelry stores, and restaurants.

Today I just needed to pick up a few things, but they were specific things and I needed to go to a specific store....one that I have never been to. The good news was, I had been to this town several times and it was across from a restaurant that I had also been to before. So why did I need the GPS? I didn't.

Then I got lost. :(

So, I turned on the GPS. The GPS took me to a large shopping center with various stores. It was probably two or three stories tall so I drove up the ramp to the parking structure and hopped out. I was feeling okay, that it hadn't been too bad. I had secured a good parking space, paid for my shopping cart, and walked into the mall. (Here in CH you pay 2CHF to use the cart and then you can take it all over the mall to as many stores as you like) The COOP (grocery) that I wanted was up the escalators so I took my cart up and walked in. One problem. It looked like Home Depot. There was paint, garden supplies, storage containers, appliances....but no groceries. I walked to the back end of the store thinking I would find food eventually. I did not. UGH. I was at the wrong store!! So I went back down the stairs, put away the cart, got back in the car and consulted the GPS again. It told me that I was in the right place! So I started the car and circled the block, looking for the COOP grocery. FINALLY, I found it on the ground level on the other side of the building!

Once again, parked the car, paid for a cart, and went into the store. YAY! FOOD! I spent quite some time gathering all of the things I needed with only a few difficulties (for example, meanwhile, I had lost my list). I got into line and watched as the woman checked out my items. All of a sudden she looked up and pointed a cucumber at me and started speaking to me. Uh-Oh. What is wrong? I looked at her blankly and told her in French that I don't understand French. (my one good phrase besides please and I'm sorry) Fortunately the woman in back of me in line knew English and translated for me. I had forgotten to weigh and label my cucumber! Here, you need to choose your produce, take it to the machine, weigh it, and label it with the sticker so the checker can charge you. Oh no! I had weighed and labeled my other veggies, but forgot this one cucumber! The woman in back of me said, "Go ahead and do it now, she will wait for you. I told her, "But I don't want to hold you up." She told me it was no problem and I ran off to put my little cuc on a scale and punch in #48. I ran back with the cucumber in my hand and was surprised to find everyone waiting there patiently for me. Both women smiled generously and we moved on with the items. I paid and off I went! Both women were so kind and generous with their time. I feel like at Ralphs at home, someone would have cut off my head for taking up their time like that!

Back in the car, I turned on the GPS and punched in the address for the Wick's home. I sighed a big sigh of relief that I was FINALLY going back home. Well, not so fast! As I followed the GPS directions I came to a intersection where I knew I should turn left. The GPS told me to go straight. Hmmm. Decisions. What to do? I followed the GPS remembering how I thought I knew how to get to the store in the first place.
Bad decision. It was taking me through some farm roads that were closed. Now I was lost again! Ugh after driving around for a few more minutes, I finally found the intersection I needed and began to recognize signs marked "Cugy" and "Morrens" YAY! Thank you Swiss people for your LOVE of road signs!
3 hours later, I had the few items that I needed, a headache, and a better knowledge of how to get to COOP Crissier.

No comments:

Post a Comment