Pages

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Last Call

August 2012

The last weekend of August it occurred to me that we would be starting school the next week. I panicked as I realized that I wanted to squeeze in one last summer adventure. Well the hubs was scheduled to work so if I wanted to do it, it had to be on my own. I packed up the Pilot with some sleeping bags, bathing suits, and a tent. Yes, you are reading correctly. I packed a tent. And yes, for the record, I do vaguely know how to operate it.
The girls and I hit the road for a girls only camping trip. We stayed pretty local as it was a very last minute thing. We drove up to Lytle Creek to a small camping resort that we frequent.
It was hotter than you know where, but being that there are a couple swimming pools and a giant creek, I knew we could tough it out for just a couple days. We had a blast together; no cell phone/ipod coverage so the girls had my undivided attention and I had theirs too. ;) We did so many things together, but the best part was the time we spent just walking around looking at stuff and talking to each other. I love my little people. Here are some of the things we saw and did:

 pitched a tent.....
captured crawdads.....

ate ice cream....
paddled on a pond...

enjoyed beautiful skies...

 dipped our toes....

 hiked down a creek...

 picked blackberries...

 picked more blackberries....

 lost a shoe...

 had a picnic...
 
 picked more blackberries...

 pondered our thoughts...
 woke up to this....
 spied on birds...

 played cards in the dark...

 I lost...

 wondered what this is...

 played in the meadow...

 chased bunnies...

 cooked nothing...

 played UNO...

ate dessert...
 avoided bees...

My favorite picture of our mini-trip......
It's my favorite because this is the last picture I have of Katie in elementary school. The next day was her first day of Junior High. She's growing so fast. I'm so glad we made this trip happen, even though it felt like a crazy thing to do at the time. It gave us a few more quiet moments before the hustle and bustle of school work and activities takes over our lives. I felt like this year is a transition for her and it seemed important to me that I was able to embrace that last moment of childhood with my oldest.

No comments:

Post a Comment